American Airlines and American Eagle invite customers to join them in a salute to servicemen and women this Veterans Day by sharing a special video created by people across American’s network. The video compilation includes personal testimonials of the impact made by veterans and demonstrates the airline’s commitment to supporting our nation’s heroes.
“Today we salute them, but every day the people of American Airlines honor the men and women who have served our nation through the military,” said Capt. Jim Palmersheim, American’s Director – Veterans Initiatives. “In addition to the video, our people will be sharing photos of their special veterans at airports, ticket counters, offices and even on our aircraft. The dedication and commitment of our armed forces is very real to our people. Today is a great testament to that dedication.”
American Airlines and American Eagle have a long history of supporting U.S. troops, veterans and their families. Military and Veterans Initiatives are a strong priority for American, American Eagle and their employees, reflecting a commitment to honor the bravery and dedication of those who serve our country. Other initiatives that demonstrate that commitment include:
- United Service Organizations (USO) partnership: As the official airline of the USO, American offers opportunities throughout the year for customers to help support the organization’s mission to lift the spirits of troops and their families through a variety of morale-boosting services and programs that support deployed troops, wounded, ill and injured troops, their families and caregivers, and families of the fallen. Through Nov. 15, AAdvantage members can earn 15 bonus miles – instead of the usual 10 miles – for every dollar donated to the USO through American’s Miles in Support of All Who Serve program, with a minimum $25 donation.
- Sky Ball: Supported by more than 1,000 American and American Eagle employee volunteers, Sky Ball XI, held Oct. 5, 2013, at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, raised $1.2 million for military families. Presented since 2003 by American and the Airpower Foundation, the annual event assists North Texas military families and national organizations and is the largest fundraiser for Snowball Express.
- A Salute to the Troops: This Veterans Day weekend, American has partnered again with MGM Resorts International and the USO to host 80 wounded warriors and their guests – the largest contingent in the five years of the program – from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda Naval Hospital and other locations for the fifth annual “A Salute to the Troops.” The servicemen and women traveled aboard a chartered American aircraft to Las Vegas, where they are being treated to entertainment, sightseeing and other activities.
- Snowball Express: American is the official airline of Snowball Express, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide hope and new memories for the children of fallen military heroes, and annually hosts a trip for children and spouses of fallen military. The 2013 event, scheduled for Dec. 12-16, will bring more than 1,700 family members to North Texas for an all-expense-paid series of activities. American will provide nine charter flights as well as airfare for additional families. The American Airlines Kids in NeedSM program, Air Compassion for Veterans organization and The Fisher House Foundation also provide airfare for families. Customers interested in sponsoring a family’s trip can learn more at http://snowballexpress.org/support/
- Seats for Soldiers: On Dec. 14, 2013, American and the Dallas Mavericks will host the ninth annual Seats for Soldiers event. Wounded soldiers from Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio will be flown to Dallas/Fort Worth on a chartered aircraft provided by American’s Fuel Smart program to enjoy dinner at Abacus, front-row seats at a Mavericks game at American Airlines Center and recognition for their service. The game seats are donated by Mavericks season ticketholders, and American’s flight crews donate their time for the trip.
- Additional partnerships, events and activities allow American to support members of the military, veterans and their families in their communities, as well as when they travel, including special military airfares, support for nonprofit organizations and employee engagement.